Skip to main content

Beer Review: Sasquatch Stout



By: Kyle Mueller

Second-year Brewmaster Student

While most hipster craft beer advocates out there seem to jump on board any new beer trend that comes around lately, its always reassuring to go back to a classic beer style that screams “simpler times”. Old Yale Brewing, a legend in the Chilliwack, BC craft beer scene, has just that very beer.

Since the start of Old Yale’s existence, they have tried to stay close to their Fraser Valley roots. Using Canada’s best drinking water and all-natural ingredients, they aim to achieve the same balance as the environment around them. Sasquatch, being one of their best sellers and winner of “Best Beer in Canada” 2014, is no different. Brewed with Pale malt as their base malt, supported by Oat, crystal, roasted and Chocolate malts and hopped with Magnum, this beer comes out swinging.

Best served in a Guinness-style pint glass, aromatics of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and just a hint of caramel should be detectable. With a creamy full-bodied mouthfeel and the delectable taste of coffee, chocolate and “Mystery”, this beer is best paired with steak, oysters and smoked brisket.

With its name being drawn from the legendary folklore of the Sasquatch, today both Sasquatch have been known to lurk by a campfire. The only difference is that the Sasquatch stout is more than just legend.

To conclude, this beer is a dark and robust, oatmeal style stout that combines mystery with the perfect pairing of coffee and chocolate. Next time you stop by the Fraser Valley for a camping trip, be sure to take Sasquatch Stout to help wash down those stories of legendary creatures that lurk in the woods.


Image: Old Yale Brewing Company [2020] Sasquatch stout [Website] Retrieved from: https://www.oldyalebrewing.com/sasquatch-stout

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Review: Okami Kasu Japanese Ale

By: Anthony Page Second-year Brewmaster Student I found myself in the nearest specialty liquor supplier, scavenging for the newest, most hop intense, bittersweet and fruity thing I could possibly find when I saw it sitting there.  This was not the style I usually go for, but something about it drew me in.  As I usually go about on my Saturday afternoons in Calgary, I like to grab some beer prior to my once a week family dinner.  My brother in law will be there, and my father will crack a brew with us.  It’s always been a bit of a mission to broaden their horizons with new and interesting ales and lagers.  Of course, I have embarked on studying the art of brewing beer, so I should at least justify my path in schooling by wowing them with something remarkable.  There on the shelf were two six packs of beer I had heard about but had never strongly considered purchasing.  The brewery was fairly new in town, the previous style I had tried from them I vaguely remembered.  However, I

How Much is Too Much Flavour in Beers?

By: Joerg Factorine Second-Year Brewmaster Student      Since the Craft Beer Revolution started, brewers have realized they can add more flavours to beer. At first, it happened by trying new combinations of beer's fundamental ingredients: malts, hops and yeast strains. Although some styles had existed for centuries, they were rediscovered. Belgian beers inspired brewers to try some exotic additions, like fruits and other sugar sources, or even wild yeast and spontaneous fermentation. After an industry that was long dominated by simple tasting Lagers, revisiting the past sharpened the curiosity and imagination of brewers- and that was a path with no return.       “And if I add that, how will it taste?” “I can’t wait to try this.” That was the kind of thought that moved brewers to try new flavours. Fueled by the competition among new breweries, the creativity kept increasing, every new step achieved wasn’t enough, and the limits to dare have been expanding.      Nowadays, fruit addit